MEDLIB-L Archives

March 1996, Week 1

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
MICHELYNN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 20:44:13 -0600
It also takes more thought about access for users. With only
seven terminals, only seven students could possibly use that
"library" at any one time. Any more than that would have to
wait in line.

You'd think librarians would have learned that lesson when
they put their catalogs online. It's not progress to replace a
card catalog a dozen or more people can use at a time with
two or three terminals.  It also amazes me to see libraries
with in-house terminals for online catalogs without printers.
Patrons stand by them jotting down titles and call numbers
with stubby little pencils just like they used to at card
catalogs.  Meanwhile, at my favorite local bookstore, I
get a "grocery tape" sized print-out from a terminal where I've
searched for a book or record. If I can't find it on the shelf,
I take it in my hot little paw to the "special order" desk. I
can't do that at my local public library. I can't even reserve
a book at an in-house terminal. So I dial it up from home to
place a hold on a book I want to read. Go figure.

Michelynn McKnight