MEDLIB-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Nichols William F Civ 96 MSGS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nichols William F Civ 96 MSGS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 11:40:01 -0500
Have to disagree on this one.  A lot of people (me,
for example) use spell-checkers in their e-mail
clients.  However, most of the time the checker is
not smart enough to discriminate between legitimate
similar words (its/it's), & may well miss an actual
error entirely if it thinks it has no reason to
question it.  Just because "it's" appears in place of
"its" is by no means "an intentional action."  In
cases like this, typos should never be assumed to be
benchmarks of smarts.

If a person uses "inferred" when the actual meaning
should be "implied," or uses "the 'hoi polloi'" in place
of the correct "hoi polloi," then, yes, it's a case of
the person not knowing the difference.  But in the case
at hand the typo has no relevant bearing whatsoever
beyond merely being a minor irritant. :)

Bill Nichols
Eglin AFB, FL