MEDLIB-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

MEDLIB-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jo-Ann Benedetti <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jo-Ann Benedetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 16:20:17 -0400
Actually, as a medical librarian working in a public library, I have had the
opportunity to provide training within my library system.  The librarians were
thrilled to have the training, and I have set up a system-wide listserv for
the exchange of health reference questions (sort of a mini-medlib).  I have
been asked to extend this training to other librarians in other library
systems in the state...they are hungry for this information.  No, they are not
training to be medical librarians, but I would much rather have a public
librarian who has been exposed to consumer health resources answer questions
from the public than to have a librarian search "Google" and pass the results
on to the patron.

Let's face it, consumers do not seek out the hospital librarian for
information (many think the hospital librarian is in charge of the  bookmobile
and passes out Louis L'Amour books).  They will, however, leave the doctor's
office and stop in the public library for information.  We can only hope that
these librarians have been exposed to good training (from a medical librarian)
before they pass out consumer health info.

My $.02

Jo-Ann

--
Jo-Ann M. Benedetti