MLMATHNET Archives

December 2000

MLMATHNET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jim Abrams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Middle Level Mathematics Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:33:14 -0500
> From: "Tim Whiteford" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 11:51:49 -0500
> To: <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: connected math
>
> Hi Jm:
>
> Several teachers here and in Shelburne are concerned about the level of
> langugae used in the Connected Math Program. Any ideas or resources for
> adapting the materials for students who are linguistically challenged?
>
> Thanks, Tim

Tim,

I do occasionally hear that comment about reading in the new programs.  I
guess math now has to deal with the same challenges as science, social
studies and language arts.

No I am not especially versed in this.  I have one tip I mention below but
it will be later this year and next when Vismt really begins to focus on
differential support strategies.   Fred Gross and Kathy Johnson who are
quite knowledgeable about equity support strategies often follow this list.
The might have a thought or two.  There also are about three hundred
teachers who follow this list, so you might get some tips from one of them.

I watched a teacher used a simple technique where she got a volunteer to
read aloud each new passage while everyone else read the passage silently at
the same time .  Then the teacher would get someone to paraphrase what was
read. Sometimes she would ask more than one person to paraphrase so students
could get slightly different interpretations to consider or there would be a
discussion of any differences to clarify.  I thought that was a nice simple
technique.

It seemed to me that her paraphrasing technique would be useful whether
anyone struggled with the reading or not.  As we know it is one thing to
read the words and another to interpret them.

Jim