MOBILE Archives

November 2008

MOBILE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Duke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions about Mobile Devices <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:51:10 -0500
One thing I like about my Treo 700w is the physical keyboard. I haven't done
it often, but I have used Pocket PuTTy to SSH to some hosts. Here's an
iPhone/iPod app to do something similar. Cool-ish.

<http://lifehacker.com/5092821/touchterm-puts-a-terminal-client-on-your-ipho
ne>
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/17/2008/11/thumb160x_TouchTerm_01.jpg

TouchTerm
<http://lifehacker.com/5092821/touchterm-puts-a-terminal-client-on-your-ipho
ne>  Puts a Terminal Client on Your iPhone

iPhone/iPod touch only: With Mocha
<http://lifehacker.com/398625/mocha-vnc-lite-is-simple-remote-control-for-ip
hones>  VNC Lite, iPhone and iPod touch users already have a tool for
connecting remotely to their desktops, but what about those who like to get
things done over a command line? Free iPhone app TouchTerm provides
SSH-encrypted terminal access to any Linux, OS X, or even Windows system
running a server, making mobile rebooting or service starting over Wi-Fi or
EDGE/3G connections possible. The app supports landscape mode, a must for
serious two-thumb typing, can save connections for easy access. The $11.99
pro version adds advanced gesture and copy/paste support, amongst other
features <http://lifehacker.com/%3ca%20href=> , but the basic free edition
can get the job done. TouchTerm is a free download for iPhones and iPod
touch models running the 2.0 firmware only.

TouchTerm
<http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286623227
&mt=8>  [iTunes App Store via Linux.com
<http://www.linux.com/feature/153135> ]