MUNINET Archives

February 2006

MUNINET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Alison Kaiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:57:31 -0500
House Government Operations is in search of 2 or 3 people to testify this
Thursday (March 2) at 8:30 a.m. regarding the following proposed bill on
Abatement.  Please respond to me directly at [log in to unmask]
if you are interested.  I need to know by the end of the day today so that I
can schedule with Legislative Council.

AN ACT RELATING TO RECAPTURE OF ABATED TAXES

It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:

Sec. 1.  24 V.S.A.  1535(e) is added to read:

 1535.  Abatement

* * *

(e)  The board may, in the case of abatement under subdivision (a)(3) of
this section, impose a repayment penalty of the entire amount abated if the
property is transferred within one year of the date of abatement and a
repayment penalty of one-half the amount abated if the property is
transferred after one year but within two years of the date of abatement.
If the board imposes a repayment penalty, commencing with the date of the
filing of notice of the penalty by the board with the town clerk, the
penalty amount shall be a first lien in the amount of the penalty, in the
same manner as a tax lien under chapter 133 of Title 32, and the lien shall
expire two years and one day after the date of the abatement.

Personally, I cannot offer much on this issue as Stowe's Board of Abatement
is very strict and RARELY abates anything.

Thanks in advance.

Alison Kaiser