MUNINET Archives

August 2009


Options: Use Proportional Font
Show HTML Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Deb Markowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:25:15 -0400
text/plain (2217 bytes) , text/html (8 kB)
Hi All,

 The health department may have missed a change made by the new law.  Our Marriage Equality Act repealed this provision of law.  I attach a link to the act, please look at page 9.   Deb

Deborah Markowitz

Secretary of State

26  Terrace Street

Montpelier, Vermont 05602


From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of St. Albans Town Assistant Clerk
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Civil Marriage Request for Out-of-State Couple

Is it up to us clerks to research marriage laws of other states when issuing marriage licenses to out of state couples? Because i never have......

Lisa Roque
Assistant Town Clerk
St. Albans Town
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
----- Original Message -----
From: Tara Rogerson<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 14:04
Subject: Civil Marriage Request for Out-of-State Couple

We received a call from a gentleman from Washington State that is coming to Vermont in September to get married at his mother's residence in Cabot.  We can only assume by his responses that they are seeking a civil marriage, but we're not certain.

Page 4-1 (Sec. E) of the new marriage registration instruction booklet pointed out specific laws/regulations applicable to non-residents applying for a Vermont marriage license and states:

"A non-resident couple who does not intend to reside in Vermont after their wedding may not marry in Vermont to avoid laws of their own state.
Washington State does have a domestic partnership law, but it isn't the same as a civil marriage.

So, if they're coming to Vermont to get a civil marriage, which WA doesn't offer, and they don't intend to stay in Vermont afterward, do we issue the license?  I would think not, but that's only if we're sure of their intent....

Lemme know your thoughts!


No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG -
Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.70/2329 - Release Date: 08/27/09 08:11:00