MUNINET Archives

February 2006

MUNINET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Charles Merriman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:39:11 -0500
Hi Paulette and Nancy:

I agree with you, Paulette, that except for certain transfers that are
exempt from the transfer tax, "no town clerk shall record, or receive for
recording, any deed to which as not been affixed [a property transfer tax
return]" 32 V.S.A. Section 9608.

With respect to delinquent taxes, Nancy, nothing in title 32 prohibits you
from recording a transfer of property on which there are tax delinquencies.
Since the delinquency is a first lien on the property arising at the time
the listers lodge the grand list with you, 32 VSA 5061, the grantee takes
the property subject to the delinquencies and all the powers enumerated in
chapter 133 of title 32 apply to the property (i.e., town can tax sale the
property, town can foreclose, town can bring a civil suit against property
owner -- in fact, town can do all three!)

Charlie

Charles L. Merriman
Special Assistant Attorney General
Department of Taxes, Division of Property Valuation and Review
PO Box 429 State Street
Montpelier, Vermont 05601-0429
Tel. (802) 828-2731
Facsimile (802) 828-5873