MUNINET Archives

February 2010


Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show HTML Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Reply To:
Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 21 Feb 2010 07:59:38 -0500
text/plain (26 lines)
Just for information, this is not a new issue.  If your town is like most, if you go back into the very first Town Minute Book from somewhere 
around 1790, you will find at the back of the book a list of "ear croppings" so that animals can be identified.   And there is usually a 
matching ordinance specifying that if an animal shows up without a registered ear-crop, it becomes the property of the person who 
confines it.  If the animal is confined and the finder notifies the person who registered the ear-marks, the original owner has a set number 
of days to claim the animal in order to reclaim it (after paying the finder suitable feed costs).  Very few of those ordinances were ever wiped 
off the books, so simply informing the offender of the law might solve the problem.
Bruce in Eden.

------- Original Message -------
From    : Wallingford Town Clerk[mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent    : 2/18/2010 2:24:48 PM
To      : [log in to unmask]
Cc      : 
Subject : RE: Wandering Animals

Please email me back with how you've dealt with 
farm animals constantly leaving a person's property and wandering on the town 
roads/state highways.  The animals' owners won't take any corrective 
Thank you.