MUNINET Archives

November 2003

MUNINET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Joan Devine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 12:00:06 -0500
It has always been my policy to have both the bride and the groom sign the
marriage license in front of me or my assistant.  I strayed from that policy
and these were the results:

1.  Male came in for the license and wanted to marry the mother of his
children that he has been living with for 15 years.  I allowed him to sign
the license, pay the fee, and leave with the document.  Time went by and the
license was never returned.  I asked him (I know him personally) when I saw
him if the marriage ever took place and he advised it did not.  He was very
excited to get married and very embarrassed that it did not happen.

2.  Female came into office for license and said groom was not available to
sign the license.  She quoted the law that says either the bride or the
groom must sign the document in front of the clerk.  I weighed policy versus
law and gave in to law.  The next thing I saw was this couple on the news.
They had gotten married in the Burlington jail as the bride brought a
justice of the peace with her to visit the groom and the justice performed
the ceremony.  This allowed the bride to not have to testify in a big
criminal case against her husband.

THE DECISION IS YOURS!!!

Joan