MUNINET Archives

August 2009


Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show HTML Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Nora Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:45:57 -0400
text/plain (1565 bytes) , text/html (6 kB)
I am curious about your assumption that they seeking a civil marriage.  I thought that after September 1st all marriages are on the same license and all  marriages are civil marriages.  In the past those marriages that were solemnized by civil officers such as JP's were technically civil marriages though the title of the license did not specify that.  Is that incorrect?
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Tara Rogerson 
  To: [log in to unmask] 
  Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:04 PM
  Subject: Civil Marriage Request for Out-of-State Couple


  We received a call from a gentleman from Washington State that is coming to Vermont in September to get married at his mother's residence in Cabot.  We can only assume by his responses that they are seeking a civil marriage, but we're not certain.  


  Page 4-1 (Sec. E) of the new marriage registration instruction booklet pointed out specific laws/regulations applicable to non-residents applying for a Vermont marriage license and states:

  "A non-resident couple who does not intend to reside in Vermont after their wedding may not marry in Vermont to avoid laws of their own state.  15 V.S.A.  6."


  Washington State does have a domestic partnership law, but it isn't the same as a civil marriage. 


  So, if they're coming to Vermont to get a civil marriage, which WA doesn't offer, and they don't intend to stay in Vermont afterward, do we issue the license?  I would think not, but that's only if we're sure of their intent..


  Lemme know your thoughts!