MUNINET Archives

July 2006


Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show HTML Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Joel Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:46:08 -0700
text/plain (1196 bytes) , text/html (2044 bytes)
Brighton was told by our auditors that if the Town Fire Department has any
of its own funds--from fundraisers of any sort, for instance--they either
need to get a separate Federal ID number, or those funds need to come under
the control of the Town Treasurer.  It had been the practice here for the
Fire Department to keep those funds separate, but since the Fire Department
operated under the town's ID number, it put the Treasurer in an awkward
spot.  The way I understand it, the Treasurer is responsible for tracking
funds spent under the Town's ID number.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Lyndon Town Clerk
  Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 11:33 AM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Fire Dept/Ambulance Squad Funds

  At the VMCTA Treasurer's Day seminar on June 15th, we were told that in
order to be GASB compliant, the funds of non-incorporated fire depts. and
rescue squads needed to be under the control of the town treasurer.  Does
anyone have any documentation/information on this issue that can be brought
before a selectboard to get them to understand the seriousness of this?
  Lisa Barrett
  Town of Lyndon