MUNINET Archives

November 2003


Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Nancy Bushika Town Clerk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:56:12 -0500
text/plain (33 lines)
I ask that both parties come in to complete the application.  So far no one
has refused, but if only one signature is the law then I would have to
follow the law.  On my work sheet that the applicants complete, I have a
section that ask when, where and who will be performing the ceremony, where
the copy, if requested, can be sent and phone numbers of both parties.  If I
don't receive the license back in a reasonable time then I will track it
down.  Nancy
----- Original Message -----
From: "CHERYL MOOMEY" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 11:44 AM
Subject: Surprise Marriages

> This is my second request this year so I wanted some input from other
clerks if you've run into the same situation or would oblige.  I have
someone who wants to have a surprise wedding.  Our office policy has always
been that both parties come in to sign the license to determine both are of
age, both willing, etc.  She said he expects a May wedding but she wants to
surprise him at Christmas.  She's already booked the hall!  Vitals said it
can be done, but I am entitled to stick to my policy if I want.
> What if the guy says no?  I know that wouldn't be my problem, but I've
talked to other men when this happend last summer (including my boyfriend)
and they all said they would not like it.
> Please let me know if you've done it or you would do it.
> Thanks.
> Cheryl