NEWFARMERNET Archives

October 2009

NEWFARMERNET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Allen Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont New Farmer Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 17:08:20 -0400
Apologies if you get this more than once. You can respond directly to me
  via this e-mail- Allen

     Greeting to anyone who has ever considered growing shiitake
mushrooms on natural logs. At Cornell University and the University of
Vermont we are developing a SARE proposal on the forest cultivation of
shiitake mushroom.

I and my colleague, Allen Matthews, have observed sufficient public
interest to warrant developing a program  that will help you learn not
only how to grow shiitake mushrooms from A to Z, but also help you
decide if you want to get into Shiitake farming on a commercial
enterprise scale (>100 logs).

Allen is Farm Enterprise Coordinator at the Center for Sustainable
Agriculture, University of Vermont. I'm an Associate Professor of
Horticulture at Cornell, and Director of the Forest Farming and Mushroom
Cultivation Program.

Some of the people receiving this note are already established mushroom
growers. We would like to invite those folks to get involved as advisers
and/or to conduct on-farm research. Along with beginning mushroom
growers, we are developing a proposal to USDA- North East Sustainable
Agriculture Research and Education (NE SARE) to initiate a shiitake
enterprise development program for farmers and other forest owners in
the Northern New England.

The approach we are considering would result in the development of a
personalized 5 year enterprise plan and Establishment of several 100 log
trials.  If you are interested, please take the time to answer the
following questions, and be sure to give us any other input you would
like make by email.

In addition to the 4 questions below, we would like to invite you to
participate in a teleconference phone call next week. If you are
interested in participating in the phone call, please indicate if you
are available Tuesday, Wednesday, and/or Thursday (October 13, 14, or 15).

     1. Do you operate a farm (on any scale) with a woodlot, or are you
a non farmer private forest owner?

     2. Would you considering growing shiitake mushroom as a source of
supplemental income?

     2. Have you ever grown shiitake mushrooms on any scale?

     3. What do you need to know in order to start or to expand an
existing  operation?

     4. How far would you consider traveling to participate in one or
move of the three activities described above?

     Let us know if you wish to participate in a telephone conference
call. If you want to be involved please send us your phone number and
email address.    Thanks everybody.

     Kenneth W. Mudge
     Associate Professor
     Department of Horticulture
     13 Plant Science Building
     Cornell University
     Ithaca, NY
     Director, Cornell Forest Farming and Mushroom Cultivation Program
     Northeast Forest Mushroom Growers Network
http://mushrooms.cals.cornell.edu/
     How When and Why of Forest Farming
http://www.hort.cornell.edu/forestfarming/
     MacDaniels Nut Grove Forest Farm http://www.hort.cornell.edu/mng/