SCHOOL-IT Archives

School Information Technology Discussion

SCHOOL-IT@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Gregory Connors <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 09:07:50 -0500
I tend to agree with the adoption of adaptability, but with teacher expectation
thrown in on an admin level.

Since we are also replacing our SIS, the LMS portion of the show is in the
forefront of my mind. I do not want to be "locked in" to one type of
instructional framework over another, regardless of what platform has to do all
the required business a SIS absolutely HAS to do.

If there is a baseline required LMS that all teachers must make an attempt to
participate in to some degree specified by the district, then this at least flexes
the muscles and allows them to become used to operating in that manner.

The way I see it, if a teacher approaches me and says "well, I dont want to
use the LMS, I found something that works better for me" ... then great! The
thing the teacher then has to do is make sure that they can manage the accessibility of students and parents, in addition to having their instruction
transparent to administration, say for curriculum mapping, data crunching, or
overall supervision. This is doable, as I have seen 1 school with no LMS
function with Moodle, Global Classroom, Edline, Engrade, Google, Edu 2.0, ...
practically every one ... all at the same time managed by individual teachers.

This way there is a required minimum baseline ... that all teachers must strive
to meet so that we might get closer to electronic portfolios, even if it is just
"scanning and tagging" in Google Apps or mapping software. The innovative
teacher is always going to be striving forward, and we should encourage that,
but the less technologically progressive still must have minimum goals we can
help them achieve.

If you watch the market, you see that there is a mad scramble to integrate
Google Apps in an LMS framework and also make is accessible to various SIS's
via the Api.

In a time of IT budget pressure, it has to work with little effort. Active
directory > Google Apps > SIS > LMS / Portfolios > Library all have to play nice
across all OS's. I think we are getting very close to an inclusive, yet adaptable
framework that still allows a degree of freedom and trust in the teacher's ability
to choose the right way for them.

Greg

Gregory Connors
Director of Information Technology