SCHOOL-IT Archives

School Information Technology Discussion

SCHOOL-IT@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
John Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 17:37:46 +0000
Unfortunately the best mechanical and electronic systems can be easily defeated by a dedicated perpetrator through a lack of vigilance and complacency on the part of the faculty, staff and students.

One of the physical layout considerations most often overlooked in public school design is public access areas.  I realize for most of us this is a design and construction issue but if people had to pass through a double entry system or Sallie Ports before they gained entry into the main parts of a school building, some of these tragedies might have been averted.

For example, most schools buzz someone into an open hallway so they can proceed to the office to be checked in.  This means that, in most cases, once inside the entrance door the visitor can detour to wherever they want before arriving at the office.   If that person had to be buzzed into an enclosed public access area, pass through a metal detector and have their credentials checked by a person with a panic button on the other side of a ballistic glass enclosure before they were allowed to proceed through another set of locked doors to gain entry, schools might have a better chance at preventing a tragedy.  This also requires that all other exterior doors could only be used for egress and that the faculty and staff have to be onboard with the security measures.

John Peters
Director of Technology
North Country Supervisory Union
338 Highland Ave Suite#4
Newport, VT 05855
802.334.5847 ext 2018

Please note my new email address and add it to your contacts