SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Archives

December 2000

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Rich Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 21:40:40 -0500
Prof. Hermon --

sorry for the belated reply.  I've been working to counter
GW Bush's distortions a lot lately.  See www.13myths.org.

Are you and your colleagues aware of the recent grants for
"eugenics" related research given to the University of Delaware?

I was researching the activities of Bush's main lawyer Ted Olson
and the research led me right to the Univ. of Delaware.  I noticed
that one of the groups funding Olson's efforts to stop affirmative
action, a foundation based in New York City, also gave $200,000
to the Univ. of Delaware!

The tax forms that document this are now online.  See:
http://www.guidestar.org/search/report/docs.adp?ein=51-0181036

There is a professor at Ferris State who has helped unveil this
group.  The foundation contributed to the book "The Bell Curve"
and apparently supports those academics (far and few in between as
they might be) whose research would suggest that people of
color are genetically inferior to white people.

Could you please let me know if people there are interested in
learning more about this?  There are two networks of academics
experienced in opposing this sort of thing that I can put you in
touch with.

-rich
Social Change Networking Project, Organizers' Collaborative
www.organizenow.net

p.s. there is a U of Delaware student [log in to unmask] on one
of our mailing lists.  Do you know this student?

At 01:08 PM 10/18/00 -0400, Gabriella Hermon wrote:

>I'm sorry, but if the facts cited in this message are actually real facts,
>then why is Gore the "lesser of two evils"?
>
>I do not believe in sending around political ads.  But since you raised the
>issue, please explain why someone who (by your own summary):
>
>a.  fights for a minimum wage increase
>
>b. fights for protecting a woman's right to chose
>
>c. fights for strengthening the  Safe Drinking Water Act, accelerated toxic
>site cleanups, and negotiated treaty to reduce global warming....
>
>d. believes in the right to organize  and actively opposed  anti-union
>         proposals
>
>e. Supports investing $115 billion to decrease class size and hire new
>teachers
>
>is labelled as "evil"?   It is exactly this kind of cynical attitude which
>may put Bush in the White House.
>
>Dr. Gabriella Hermon
>Linguistics
>University of Delaware
>NEWARK, DE 19716, USA
>(302) 831-1642

Organizers' Collaborative      PO Box 400897, Cambridge MA  02140
[log in to unmask]                         www.organizenow.net