SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Archives

April 2012

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Mitchel Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:27:04 -0400
http://grist.org/article/e-o-wilson-wants-to-know-why-youre-not-protesting-in-the-streets/

E. O. Wilson wants to know why you’re not protesting in the streets

By <http://grist.org/author/lisa-hymas/>Lisa Hymas
Edward O. Wilson

E. O. Wilson thinks you should get out there and make some noise.

We had lots of questions for acclaimed biologist
and conservationist
<http://eowilsonfoundation.org/wilson-the-scientist>Edward
O. Wilson when he dropped by the Grist office
recently while touring to promote his latest
book,
<http://www.amazon.com/Social-Conquest-Earth-Edward-Wilson/dp/0871404133/gristmagazine>The
Social Conquest of Earth.

But Wilson directed the toughest question of the
day back at us: Why aren't you young people out
protesting the mess that's being made of the planet?

As we squirmed in our seats, Wilson, 82,
continued: "Why are you not repeating what was
done in the ‘60s? Why aren't you in the streets?
And what in the world has happened to the green
movement that used to be on our minds and
accompanied by outrage and high hopes? What went wrong?"

We didn't have great answers, so we're going to
turn the questioning on you, dear readers: Why
aren't you out in the streets? And if you are,
where, why, and who else is out there with you?
Should more of us be staging '60s-style protests?
Can online activism or lobbying in the halls of
power make just as much of a difference, or more?
Tell us what you think in comments below.

Now back to the questions we asked Wilson about
his life's work and his new book. Over the course
of his long career as a professor at Harvard,
he's conducted pioneering research on ants,
written seminal
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_O_Wilson#Main_works>books
on sociobiology and biogeography, published
ant-centric fiction
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2010/01/25/100125fi_fiction_wilson?currentPage=all>in
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2010/01/25/100125fi_fiction_wilson?currentPage=all>The
New Yorker, and led major efforts to preserve
global
<http://eowilsonfoundation.org/what-is-biodiversity>biodiversity.
His new book traces human morality, religion, and
arts to their biological roots, and turns
traditional Darwinism on its head, arguing that
social groups and tribes are the primary drivers of natural selection.

Q. The title of your book has the word social in
it. Social has become a buzzword for online
networking, this new way of forming groups. Are
you on Facebook? Are you using the internet to look at the way groups behave?

<http://www.amazon.com/Social-Conquest-Earth-Edward-Wilson/dp/0871404133/gristmagazine>
[]

A. No, others are doing that.

We are entering a new world, but we're entering
it as Paleolithic brains. Here's my formula for
Earth's civilization: We are a Star Wars
civilization. We have Stone Age emotions. We have
medieval institutions ­ most notably, the
churches. And we have god-like technology. And
this god-like technology is dragging us forward
in ways that are totally unpredictable.

We have not gotten beyond the powerful propensity
to believe our group is superior to other
comparable groups. However, we are draining away
the instinctual energy from nationalism ­ that's
a big help. I think we're seeing the beginning of
the draining away from the dreadfully
dissolutive, oppressive institutions of organized
religion. Seeing what's happening is part of the
reason for the Tea Party and the populist revolt
now that has kidnapped the Republican Party.
There's a resentment about the old bonds and the
old groups dissolving and new groups being formed.

Q. Have you seen concern about biodiversity
decline over the last decade? A lot of energy
seems to be going toward climate change and not as much toward biodiversity.

A. Isn't that astonishing? We're destroying the
rest of life in one century. We'll be down to
half the species of plants and animals by the end
of the century if we keep at this rate. Very few
people are paying any attention, just dedicated
groups. The only way we've been able to get
people's attention is through big issues like
pollution and climate change. They can't deny
pollution because you can give them the taste
test. You can say, "We just took this out of the
Charles River. Here, drink." But they can deny
climate change. We're in a state of cosmic or global denial.

However, there are changes. The general direction
is going up the right way. The only question is
how much damage are we going to do to
biodiversity before we catch on. Right now I'm
going to national parks around the world ­ I've
been to Ecuador, Mozambique, the southwest
Pacific, all of Western Europe. I'm going to
write a series on national parks ­ what the basic
philosophy of national parks and reserves should
be, and how it relates to our own self-image and
our own hopes for immortality as a species.

We have to do everything we possibly can. I like
to tell this the way a former Southern Baptist
would tell it, in the original accent. Then
you'll see what I'm trying to say when I say we
have to use every weapon at our disposal, all the
time, everything from science to activism to
political influence, etc. So this is
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Sunday>Billy
Sunday, a pioneer in Southern evangelicalism and
fundamentalism in the '20s: "I hate sin. I hate
sin so much I'm going to fight it till my arms
won't move no more. When my arms don't move no
more, I'm gonna bite it. And when all my teeth
are gone, I'm gonna gum it." Now you get the
picture. We all have to do that. When there's nothing else at hand, gum it.

Q. Some of our readers sent questions for you via
Twitter. One asked, What three lessons should we learn from ants?

A. None. We learned a lot of science from ants,
but, for heaven's sake, let's not do what ants
do. Ants are totally subservient to instinctual
rules. Males are produced only a short time each
year, and they have only one function, which I
won't go into, and when they perform that, then
they die. Also, ants are the most war-like of all
known creatures. They are at perfect harmony in a
colony, but they're always at war with any colony
they encounter. And furthermore, a lot of species
kill and eat their injured. So let's not go the ant way.

Q. Here's another: What findings among all of
your research still surprise and amaze you?

A. Well, after I found them, they don't amaze me.

Q. One of our readers wants to know what your favorite ant is.

A. Aren't some of the readers worrying about biodiversity?

Q. We got four or five variations of this question: Are we doomed?

A. I'd like to say no. I'm surely not going to be
stupid enough to say yes. What I will say is: no, I hope.

Here's my favorite little maxim. It's from
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abba_Eban>Abba
Eban, foreign minister of Israel during the 1967
war, one more dumb, senseless war in the Middle
East: "When all else fails, men turn to reason."

I think maybe we are really and truly ready to
start trying to solve problems for once in human
history by using our forebrain.

Lisa Hymas is senior editor at Grist. You can
follow her on
<http://twitter.com/lisahymas>Twitter and
<https://plus.google.com/106507937998378546064>Google+.

http://www.MitchelCohen.com Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack, a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. ~ Leonard Cohen