SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Archives

September 2001

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
NEWMAN STUART <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:44:01 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Dowie [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 5:03 PM
Subject: Read 'em and Weep

Hi

FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) -- on the Advisory Board of
which I sit with pride -- recently composed this list of quotes from
some media pundits who don't quite see things the way I do.
Unfortunately they are reaching far more people than I find on my meager
list. So send them on if you like .... or just read 'em and weep.

Mark

  "There is only one way to begin to deal with people like this, and
that is
  you have to kill some of them even if they are not immediately
directly
  involved in this thing."
  --former Secretary of State Lawrence Eagleburger (CNN, 9/11/01)

  "The response to this unimaginable 21st-century Pearl Harbor should be
as
  simple as it is swift-- kill the bastards. A gunshot between the eyes,
blow
  them to smithereens, poison them if you have to.  As for cities or
countries
  that host these worms, bomb them into basketball courts."
  --Steve Dunleavy (New York Post, 9/12/01)

  "America roused to a righteous anger has always been a force for good.

  States that have been supporting if not Osama bin Laden, people like
him
  need to feel pain. If we flatten part of Damascus or Tehran or
whatever it
  takes, that is part of the solution."
  --Rich Lowry, National Review editor, to Howard Kurtz (Washington
Post,
  9/13/01)

  "TIME TO TAKE NAMES AND NUKE AFGHANISTAN."
  --Caption to cartoon by Gary Brookins (Richmond Times-Dispatch,
9/13/01)

  "At a bare minimum, tactical nuclear capabilites should be used
against the
  bin Laden camps in the desert of Afghanistan. To do less would be
rightly
  seen by the poisoned minds that orchestrated these attacks as
cowardice on
  the part of the United States and the current administration."
  --Former Defense Intelligence Agency officer Thomas Woodrow, "Time to
Use
  the Nuclear Option" (Washington Times, 9/14/01)

  Bill O'Reilly: "If the Taliban government of Afghanistan does not
cooperate,
  then we will damage that government with air power, probably. All
right? We
  will blast them, because..."

  Sam Husseini, Institute for Public Accuracy: "Who will you kill in the

  process?"

  O'Reilly: "Doesn't make any difference."
  --("The O'Reilly Factor," Fox News Channel, 9/13/01)

  "This is no time to be precious about locating the exact individuals
  directly involved in this particular terrorist attack.... We should
invade
  their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.
We
  weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his
top
  officers.  We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians.
That's war.
  And this is war."
  --Syndicated columnist Ann Coulter (New York Daily News, 9/12/01)