SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Archives

April 2006

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Phil Gasper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 07:45:39 -0700
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/26/nyregion/26deport.html

April 26, 2006

Student's Prize Is a Trip Into Immigration Limbo

By NINA BERNSTEIN

A small, troubled high school in East Harlem seemed an unlikely place
to find students for a nationwide robot-building contest, but when a
neighborhood after-school program started a team last winter, 19
students signed up. One was Amadou Ly, a senior who had been fending
for himself since he was 14.

The project had only one computer and no real work space. Engineering
advice came from an elevator mechanic and a machinist's son without a
college degree. But in an upset that astonished its sponsors, the
rookie team from East Harlem won the regional competition last month,
beating rivals from elite schools like Stuyvesant in Manhattan and
the Bronx High School of Science for a chance to compete in the
national robotics finals in Atlanta that begins tomorrow.

Yet for Amadou, who helps operate the robot the team built, success
has come at a price. As the group prepared for the flight to Atlanta
today, he was forced to reveal his secret: He is an illegal immigrant
from Senegal, with no ID to allow him to board a plane. Left here
long ago by his mother, he has no way to attend the college that has
accepted him, and only a slim chance to win his two-year court battle
against deportation.

In the end, his fate could hinge on immigration legislation now being
debated in Congress. Several Senate bills include a pathway for
successful high school graduates to earn legal status. But a measure
passed by the House of Representatives would make his presence in the
United States a felony, and both House and Senate bills would curtail
the judicial review that allows exceptions to deportation.

Meanwhile, the team's sponsors scrambled to put him on a train
yesterday afternoon for a separate 18-hour journey to join his
teammates from Central Park East High School at the Georgia Dome.
There, more than 8,500 high school students will participate in the
competition, called FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science
and Technology) by its sponsor, a nonprofit organization that aims to
make applied sciences as exciting to children as sports.

"I didn't want other people to know," said Amadou, 18, referring to
his illegal status. "They're all U.S. citizens but me."

Most team members learned of his problem only yesterday at a meeting
with Kristian Breton, 27, the staff member at the East Harlem
Tutorial program who started the team, inspired by his own experience
in the competition when he was a high school student in rural
Mountain Home, Ark.

Alan Hodge, 18, echoed the general dismay. "We can't really celebrate
all the way because it's not going to feel whole as a team without
Amadou," he said.

Amadou's teammates have struggled with obstacles of their own. When
Mr. Breton called a meeting of parents to collect permission slips
last week, only five showed up. One boy's mother had a terminal
illness, Mr. Breton learned. Another mother lived in the Dominican
Republic, leaving an older sibling to manage the household. One of
the six girls on the team said her divorced parents disagreed about
letting her go, and her mother, who was willing to approve the trip,
lacked the $4 subway fare to get to the meeting.

But Amadou's case stands out. As he tells it, with corroboration from
immigration records and other documents, he was 13 and spoke no
English when his mother brought him to New York from Dakar on Sept.
10, 2001. He was 14 when she went back, leaving him behind in the
hope that he could continue his American education.

By then, he had finished ninth grade at Norman Thomas High School in
a program for students learning English as a second language. But his
mother left instruction for him to take a Greyhound bus to
Indianapolis, where a Senegalese woman friend had agreed to take him
in and send him to North Central High School there.

"It was the same thing when I was in Africa," he said, describing a
childhood spent shuttling between his grandmother and the household
of his father, a retired police officer with 12 children and three
wives.

The woman in Indiana, who had four children of her own, changed her
mind about keeping him after his sophomore year, and he returned by
bus to New York in the summer of 2004. "I had to find a way to help
myself for food and clothes, and to buy some of my school supplies,"
he said, recalling days handing out fliers for a clothing store on a
Manhattan street corner. "I ended up living with another friend - I'm
under age and I can't live alone."

Taking shelter with a taxi driver, a friend of the family who could
sign his report cards, Amadou enrolled in 11th grade at Central Park
East. Under longstanding Supreme Court decisions, children have a
right to a public education regardless of their immigration status,
and in New York, as in many other cities, a "don't ask, don't tell"
approach to legal status has prevailed for years.

But after the 9/11 attacks, practices around the country changed. On
a rainy highway in Pennsylvania on Nov. 7, 2004, Amadou met a very
different attitude when he had the bad luck to be a passenger in a
car rear-ended by a truck. The state trooper who responded questioned
his passport and school ID, and summoned federal immigration
officers, who began deportation proceedings.

There is no right to a court-appointed lawyer in immigration court,
and though Amadou's friends hired one for him at first, records show
that the lawyer soon withdrew. "We really couldn't afford to pay,"
Amadou explained.

By the time the case was finally sent to a special juvenile docket in
federal court after several adjournments, Amadou had already turned
18, closing off some legal options that can lead to a green card for
juveniles, said Amy Meselson, a Legal Aid lawyer who took on the case
last week.

At this point, she said, his best chance is probably a long shot: a
measure included in an amendment to many Senate immigration bills,
known as the Dream Act, which offers a path to citizenship to young
people of good character who have lived in the United States for five
years, been accepted to college, or earned a high school diploma or
the equivalent.

Opponents say the measure will encourage illegal immigrants, and
subsidize their education at the expense of American children and
their taxpaying parents.

But mentors for Amadou's team, which calls itself "East Harlem Tech,"
seem to have no ear for such arguments.

"He's been a hard-working and diligent student with mathematical
ability and a scientific mind," said Rhonda Creed-Harry, a math
teacher at Central Park East. But though he has been accepted at the
New York City College of Technology in Brooklyn, he said he could not
attend because he does not qualify for financial aid.

Ramon Padilla, a team mentor who stopped a year short of a college
degree himself and now works in the audio-visual department at
Columbia University, called the news that Amadou faced deportation
"overwhelming."

"I'm telling you, he's a great kid, a very talented kid," he said,
adding that Amadou played an important role in building the robot,
with help from Frank Sierra, a buddy of Mr. Padilla who repairs
elevators. Starting from a standard set of parts, each team had six
weeks to design a robot that could move down a center line and throw
balls into a goal. In the last round of the competition, Amadou
helped his team form a winning alliance with teams from Morris High
School in the Bronx and Staten Island Tech, which both advanced to
the finals as well.

Mr. Breton, who made last-minute trips to the Bronx to gather
parental permissions, said he was determined not to leave Amadou
behind. "I started with 19 people, and I want to take 19 people to
Atlanta," he told the student. "I want to make sure that everybody
has the full opportunity, because I feel you've earned it."

Amadou returned the compliment. "Because of him, it happened," he said.

Yet on the train to Atlanta, accompanied by another staff member,
Amadou was still worried. Bloomberg L.P., which is underwriting the
full cost of the team's trip to Atlanta, plans to display its robot
at the company's headquarters in New York and invite the team up to
celebrate their achievement. He said he was afraid that for lack of
the right ID he might be turned away from the building.