SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE December 2016

FW: [radcaucus] more on the "Professor Watchlist"

Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Dec 2016 13:16:46 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Peter Gardner
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2016 12:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [radcaucus] more on the "Professor Watchlist"

Ciao all,
Here is an interesting response to the "Professor Watchlist."

Peter

Answer Sheehttps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/12/08/a-twist-on-controversial-professor-watchlist-notre-dame-academics-want-their-names-added/?utm_term=.5c10a7357d73 <http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/>

A twist on controversial ‘Professor Watchlist’: Notre Dame academics want their names added

By Valerie Strauss <https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/valerie-strauss/>  December 8  <mailto:[log in to unmask]:%20Notre%20Dame%20academics%20want%20their%20names%20added%27>
 <https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_960w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2015/05/14/Others/Images/2015-05-14/4545111061431638761.jpg&w=1484>
The mural at the Hesburgh Library, commonly known as “Touchdown Jesus,” is seen on the campus of the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind. (Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

Here’s a twist regarding a controversial new website called “Professor Watchlist,” which has the names of some 200 academics deemed by a conservative group to be advancing “leftist propaganda” in classrooms and discriminating against conservative students.

While most teachers at any level education would generally prefer to remain off politically motivated lists,  more than 100 faculty members at the University of Notre Dame say they want their names added to Professor Watchlist, a project of the nonprofit organization Turning Point USA. The group’s website says it is a national movement that seeks to “educate students about the importance of fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.” Critics call it an assault on academic freedom.

[New conservative watchlist targets professors for advancing ‘leftist propaganda’ <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/12/01/new-conservative-watchlist-targets-professors-for-advancing-leftist-propaganda/?utm_term=.ea2a93b7b4ea> ]

The watch list includes two academics from Notre Dame. One is philosophy professor Gary Gutting, who is on the list, according to the watch list website, because he wrote that the country’s “permissive gun laws are a manifestation of racism.” That came from  a 2015 analysis about gun laws that Gutting wrote for the New York Times. The other is Iris Outlaw, director of Multicultural Student Programs and Services at the Catholic university. She is on the list, the website says, because she “taught a ‘white privilege’ seminar that pledged to help students acknowledge and understand their white privilege.”

The Notre Dame faculty members who signed the open letter said the people now on the list are, actually, “the sort of company we wish to keep.”

Here’s the brief letter in full. It was also published on the website of the Observer <http://ndsmcobserver.com/2016/12/letter-professor-watchlist/> , the student newspaper at Notre Dame.

	Dear Professor Watchlist,

	We, the undersigned faculty at the University of Notre Dame, write to request that you place our names, all of them, on Professor Watchlist.

	We make this request because we note that you currently list on your site several of our colleagues, such as Professor Gary Gutting, whose work is distinguished by its commitment to reasoned, fact-based civil discourse examining questions of tolerance, equality, and justice. We further note that nearly all faculty colleagues at other institutions listed on your site, the philosophers, historians, theologians, ethicists, feminists, rhetoricians, and others, have similarly devoted their professional lives to the unyielding pursuit of truth, to the critical examination of assumptions that underlie social and political policy, and to honoring this country’s commitments to the premise that all people are created equal and deserving of respect.

	This is the sort of company we wish to keep.

	We surmise that the purpose of your list is to shame and silence faculty who espouse ideas you reject. But your list has had a different effect upon us. We are coming forward to stand with the professors you have called “dangerous,” reaffirming our values and recommitting ourselves to the work of teaching students to think clearly, independently, and fearlessly.

	So please add our names, the undersigned faculty at the University of Notre Dame, to the Professor Watchlist. We wish to be counted among those you are watching.

	Most sincerely,

	Encarnación Juárez-Almendros, Spanish

	Ani Aprahamian, Physics

	Francisco Aragon, Institute for Latino Studies

	Doug Archer, Hesburgh Libraries

	Carolina Arroyo, Political Science

	Katrina Barron, Mathematics

	Kevin Barry, Kaneb Center

	Christine Becker, Film, Television, and Theater

	Gail Bederman, History

	Patricia Blanchette, Philosophy

	Susan D. Blum, Anthropology

	Catherine E. Bolten, Anthropology and Peace Studies

	John G. Borkowski, Psychology

	Bruce Bunker, Physics

	Elizabeth Capdevielle, University Writing Program

	Matthew Capdevielle, University Writing Program

	Robert Randolf Coleman, Art, Art History & Design

	Brian Collier, Institute for Educational Initiatives

	Philippe Collon, Experimental Nuclear Physics

	Michael Coppedge, Political Science

	David Cortright, Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies

	Mary D’Angelo, Theology

	Antonio Delgado, Physics

	Denise M. Della Rossa, German

	Michael Detlefsen, Philosophy

	Tarek R. Dika,  Program of Liberal Studies

	Jane Doering, Gender Studies

	Jean Dibble, Art, Art History & Design

	Margaret Anne Doody, English

	Kevin Dreyer, Film, Television, and Theater

	John Duffy, English

	Amitava Krishna Dutt, Political Science

	Stephen M. Fallon, Program of Liberal Studies and English

	Stephen Fredman, English

	Christopher Fox, English

	Judith Fox, Law School

	Mary E. Frandsen, Music

	Jill Godmilow, Film Television & Theater

	Karen Graubart, History

	Stuart Greene, English and Africana Studies

	David Hachen, Sociology

	Matthew E.K. Hall, Political Science

	Darlene Hampton, First Year of Studies

	Susan Harris, English

	Randy Harrison, Hesburgh Library

	Anne Hayner, Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies

	Peter Holland, Film, Television, and Theater

	Romana Huk, English

	Charlice Hurst, Mendoza College of Business

	Lionel M. Jensen, East Asian Languages and Cultures

	Debra Javeline, Political Science

	Claire Taylor Jones, German and Russian

	Michael Kackman, Film, Television, and Theater

	Asher Kaufman, History and Peace Studies

	Mary Celeste Kearney, Film, Television, and Theater; Gender Studies

	Micha Kilburn, Physics

	Janet Kourany, Philosophy

	Thomas Kselman, History

	Greg Kucich, English

	Rev. Donald G. LaSalle Jr., First Year of Studies

	Daniel Lapsley, Psychology

	Erin Moira Lemrow, Institute for Latino Studies

	Neil Lobo, Biological Sciences,

	George Lopez, Peace Studies

	Cecilia Lucero, First Year of Studies

	Collette Mak, Hesburgh Library

	Julia Marvin, Program of Liberal Studies

	Maria McKenna, Institute for Educational Initiatives and Africana Studies

	Sarah McKibben, Irish Language and Literature

	Erin McLaughlin, University Writing Program

	Joyelle McSweeney, English

	Stephen Miller, Music

	Ann Mische, Sociology and Peace Studies

	Leslie L. Morgan, Hesbuirgh Library

	Brian O’Conchubhair, Irish Language and Literature

	Lisa Oglesbee, Center for the Study of Languages and Cultures

	Kathleen Opel, Notre Dame International

	Jessica Payne, Psychology

	Catherine Perry, Romance Languages and Literatures

	Dianne Pinderhughes, Political Science

	Pierpaolo Polzonetti, Program in Liberal Studies and Sacred Music

	Margaret Porter, Hesburgh Library

	Clark Power, Program of Liberal Studies

	Ava Preacher, College of Arts and Letters

	William Purcell, Center for Social Concerns

	Benjamin Radcliff, Political Science

	Steve Reifenberg, Kellogg Institute for International Studies

	Karen Richman, Institute for Latino Studies

	Charles Rosenberg, Art, Art History & Design

	Deb Rotman, Anthropology

	David F. Ruccio, Arts and Letters

	Valerie Sayers, English

	Catherine Schlegel, Classics

	Roy Scranton, English

	Susan Sharpe, Center for Social Concerns

	Kristin Shrader-Frechette, Biological Sciences and Philosophy

	John Sitter, English

	Cheri Smith, Hesburgh Library

	Donald Sniegowski, English

	Thomas A. Stapleford, Program of Liberal Studies

	James Sterba, Philosophy

	Susan St. Ville, Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies

	Maria Tomasula, Art, Art History & Design

	Steve Tomasula, English

	Ernesto Verdeja, Political Science

	Henry Weinfield, Program of Liberal Studies and English

	John Welle, Italian

	Michael Wiescher, Physics

	Pamela Wojcik, Film, Television, and Theater

	Christina Wolbrecht, Political Science

	Martin Wolfson, Professor of Economics Emeritus

	Danielle Wood, Center for Social Concerns

--

“Il capitale è lavoro morto, che si ravviva, come un vampiro, soltanto succhiando lavoro vivo e più vive quanto più ne succhia”. K. Marx

"The truth is always revolutionary." Antonio Gramsci