SKIVT-L Archives

December 2004, Week 1

SKIVT-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
John Atkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:21:21 -0500
I don't necessarily agree Steve. There are many "quandaries" of travel and
snow evaluation in avy terrain. Do you pick a safe ascent route or climb
right into a potential danger zone while skinned up with limited mobility?

Do you dig a pit and if so, where? You want a representative sample, but
definitely don't want to expose yourself to get the info. Matt's micro-
pocket is a perfect example of something you might not ever see, unless you
were right on top of it, which was the wrong place to be.

Let's say Matt did climb the route, would the result be different? Probably
and it most likely wouldn't have been as lucky as it was.

Just some thoughts.

John