SKIVT-L Archives

December 2004, Week 1

SKIVT-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Marc Guido <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:41:20 -0500
> Different bridge! You're confusing it with the Three-Mile
> Bridge between Cornwall and Middlebury

Correct, and...

> BTW, the former Three-Mile Bridge is on no known routes to
> any mountain anywhere.

Au contraire!  It's on my
shortest-distance-between-two-points-without-going-through-a-major-town
route to Middlebury College Snow Bowl: 22A to 74 to 30 to Morse Road (across
the Three-Mile Bridge) to E. Middlebury to 125 to the ski area. Somebody
needs to rebuild that bridge for me -- I mean, come on, I've been patiently
waiting for 54 years, ya know? <g>

Yeah, I confused the two. I encountered the washed-out Rte. 73 bridge last
January en route to Sugarbush. Had I gotten my bridges straight in my mind
yesterday, I would've done (from Whitehall) 4 to 22A to 73 in Orwell, then
east on 73 to Brandon and up across Brandon Gap to Rochester, or; 4 to 30 to
73 to Brandon, and up across Brandon Gap to Rochester. I'm leaning toward
the former as I'm partial to the straight, low-elevation 22A. While 144 from
Benson to 30 at Lake Hortonia looks good on paper, it's a twisty, curvy
mess. Either of these two options would avoid the slow going through Proctor
and the traffic on 7 between Pittsford and Brandon, so it's likely quicker
even though slightly longer distance-wise.

I should've rigged the GPS to the laptop or the Treo yesterday, as it
would've saved me the 10-minute wrong turn I made in Hubbardton, but I ran
out of time to load the maps into the Treo and didn't have room on the
passenger seat for the laptop (that's all changed with the window-mount ski
rack I picked up for the Z3 today for a whopping $15.96 -- woohoo!). I
*will* get that door-to-door trip down to 2h30m yet, but dang that ridgeline
that runs between, and parallel to, 30 and 7!

Gee, am I obsessed with this? ;-)

Hey Mike: Get yourself Micro$oft Streets & Trips or DeLorme Street Atlas!
They're both perfect for finding this country-road-level stuff anywhere in
N.A.

First Tracks!! Online Ski Magazine
Marc Guido
Editor & Publisher