SKIVT-L Archives

December 2004, Week 1

SKIVT-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jason Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:16:43 -0500
On Dec 1, 2004, at 5:40 PM, Dulik, Andy (US - Jericho) wrote:

> But, with that said how much of a skill is it to do a relatively fast
> paced traverse on a board, slightly up hill in enough time to clear
> the chair without using the chair to push off?  I've never boarded so
> I do not know, but I do not recall ever seeing boarders do traverses
> in a fast manner.

How much skill?  Not much.  When I was teaching, the first
non-stationary task I would ask a never-ever to accomplish is to walk
with the board attached to their front foot.  Most would get it within
30 seconds or so.  I never "lost" a student at this early point.  Most
of the first lesson is spent walking / skating, first on flat ground,
then uphill - so they can practice gliding downhill.

How much time does one have to get out of the unloading zone of the
single?  How far does one have to go?  How many people wind up doing
the cartoon thing of the person being chased by a train and running
down the tracks instead of taking two steps to the side?

Watch a level one snowboard lesson some day, even for just 5 minutes,
and you'll see people with less than an hour of snowboarding experience
moving themselves uphill without falling at a fast enough pace to get
out of the way of a fixed grip chairlift (unless the snow surface is
solid ice, anyway).

--
Jason - "redraobwons"