SKIVT-L Archives

October 2002, Week 2

SKIVT-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jim Clapp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:24:51 -0400
I spent four Augusts a decade ago mountain biking in the Piedmont region of Italy. This was in the early 1990's, when I skied in a more nordic style, and saw the mountains there as a forum for riding more than skiing. Reading posts about Italy got me thinking. Last night I broke out my circa 1985 northern Italy/Swiss map and looked at the passes and peaks I rode in those days-boy what a ski trip we could make!
We stayed in a little village near Lago d'Orta, a thirty minute drive from Monta Rosa, and a few hours from Chamonix. I still have friends and connections there with the Club Alpini Agrano.
There are countless big peaks and glaciers in the area...One trip I rode was over the Alps through Passo San Jachimo. It was a two day trip, on mountain bikes with loaded bags. Day one was basically thirteen hours of riding up, up, up! We spent the night at the middle of the pass in a refugio. Damn, they treat you nice! Wine, pasta and a bunk.
Day two we rode past skiable big patches of snow (in August) on the pass proper. We rode past a wierd railroad car thing on blocks that had been a lodge for skiers back in the day. The trail turned into a herd path, and we had to carry our bikes down into Switzerland through a herd of big, scary mountain cows. Finally we hit a road. Then we had five hours of descent; winding switchbacks and smooth swiss pavement. After a few mishaps, we rode 100 plus miles back to where we started...The skiing would be awesome...Lets Go!
>>> [log in to unmask] 10/09/02 20:57 PM >>>
Stepping out of my lurking mode to let skivt-lers know about a great
deal on a trip to Moena, Italy offered by Schussmeisters Ski Club.
Schussmeisters is the ski club at SUNY Buffalo.

The trip will be January 4 through 12, 2003 and the cost is $995 for
non-members.  This includesairfare, transfers, lodging at the Hotel
Belvedere.  This also includes breakfast and dinner.  Lift tickets are
extra at approximately $30 per day.  The rooms are doubles and
Schussmeisters can probably pair you up with someone if you are solo.

Moena is in the Dolomites, check out these trails:
http://www.moenawelcome.com/skisafari-e.htm

Depart:
Jan. 4  BUF to JFK   5:05 pm (JetBlue)
             JFK to Frankfurt   9:20 pm
Jan. 5  Frankfurt to Venice   12:20 pm

Return:
Jan. 12 Venice to Frankfurt   6:25 am
               Frankfurt to JFK   10:40 am
              JFK to BUF   3:10 pm

If interested phone Schussmeisters, (716) 645-3100.

For full trip details see the club's web site:
http://www.schussmeisters.com/default.asp?sub=trips&sec=8

Back to lurking . . .

JJ
                           ///