SKIVT-L Archives

October 2002, Week 2

SKIVT-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Michael Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:21:31 -0400
Jimski quoth:

"After
this happened to NY in 97 you can see what happened in 98.  Like Jeter(I
think) said;  it put them on a mission.  Next year should be interesting."

Aaah James,

So sad to see you grasping for straws like that.  With a $10MM gimp in left
field, an even slower (if that's possible) $12MM Bernie in center (you
notice how deep he has to play these days so balls don't get over his
head?), and a $6MM underperforming malcontent in right, the Yanks may just
have the most overpaid and underperforming outfield in baseball.  Did
anyone see where Ventura went after the All-Star break?  Someone should put
out an APB on that guy.  Hero Derek turned in another middling offensive
performance this year while simultaneously challenging for the league lead
for errors by a shortstop (admittedly with Nomah).  And then there's the
Yankee pitching.  All I can say is, oy vey.  Rajah will be a year older and
a year suckier.  El Duque is done as a Yankee.  Mussina is coming off the
worst 18 win season in baseball history with lousy peripheral numbers and
an inability to beat ANY good teams.  Pettite is Pettite, but he now has,
according to Dr. James Andrews, a "gap" in his left elbow.  Andy Pettite,
meet Tommy John.  Hitchcock (brilliant signing there) is gone, and not
worth a hill o' beans anyway.  Weaver, once he finishes cleaning his bong
out, has yet to prove that he handle the pressure of playing in NY.  Then
there's the bullpen.  Mo Rivera was on and off the DL like a cheap Saigon
you-know-what.  I'm told by friends who for for the YESMAN network that
Mendoza's arm hurts every time he throws a pitch, and he clearly wasn't
himself this year (just ask Troy Glaus).  Then there's the over-used,
deteriorating and increasingly velocity-challenged Mike Stanton.  Which
leaves you with Karsay as the only sure thing in that pen next year, and
even he has a history of arm injuries longer than (mandatory VT ski
content) the old Juggernaut trail at K.

Bottom line, I'm not claiming the Sox will win a darned thing, but I can
assure you that a repeat of 1998 is not in the cards for your beloved
Steinbrenner All-Stars.

Sorry for the waste of BW everyone.  It shant be long now before wispy
powder makes us forget about trivial matters like baseball and a mass love-
in overtakes the SKIVT-L world.