SKIVT-L Archives

December 2004, Week 1

SKIVT-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Marc Guido <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 17:28:23 -0500
> Does anyone have some insights into the best
> way to get from 87 or the Taconic to route 100 South of
> Granville Gulf?

Heh!  You'll see from the following link that I, too, still face that
dilemma:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=261

I've reasonably concluded that the best is to I-87 to 149 to US 4, getting
off at the W. Rutland exit. A short stretch on eastbound 4A leads one to
Rte. 3 north through Proctor to connect with US 7 north, bypassing Rutland.
>From there, head over Brandon Gap on 73 to VT 100 in Rochester.

My big pain is figuring out a better way from US 4 to Brandon. On Sunday I
tried a combo off VT 30 that yielded dirt lanes that were little more than
farm roads -- a "no go" for sure. The big problem is two-fold:

1. There's a bridge on 73 between 30 and 7 that's been washed out for years;
and
2. There are few roads that go between the two, thanks to a rather steep
ridgeline that runs north-south around there.

FYI, I made it from Albany (5 min from the airport) to Sugarbush that way in
about 2:35 on Sunday morning.

First Tracks!! Online Ski Magazine
Marc Guido
Editor & Publisher