SKIVT-L Archives

December 2004, Week 1

SKIVT-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
James L Crowley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 20:43:50 -0500
Roger wrote about Okemo:

>Crowds were light in all but a few moments, though there were never any lines
>at the lifts.  It makes me wonder why anyone skis Killington early season.

Roger answers his own query with his next comment:

>Only complaint was the lack of something challenging to ski

Killington had quite a bit of challenging and variable terrain to ski this past
weekend given the recent weather. There were (1) moderately-pitched icy slopes
with dozens of other skiers within a 50 foot radius that took great skill to
avoid (e.g. Bittersweet, mixing bowls on Snowdon), (2) steep icy slopes that
tested one's ability to hold an edge while doing anything other than
side-slipping or falling (e.g. Highline), (3) steep slopes with lots of soft,
creamy, man-made bumps (e.g. lower Skyelark and Mousetrap), (4) a limitless
supply of natural snow trails that could be poached only with rock skis and the
adventuresome spirit of justinwoods, and (5) a select few natural snow trails
that had beautiful boot-top powder that gave me a taste of the winter to come
(hopefully).

Despite the large crowds, it was a good weekend at Killington, especially on
Sunday and early in the day. If the weather stays cold next week aside from the
Tuesday warm-up, there should be more terrain open for next weekend. Killington
has shown an amazing ability to bounce back quickly from the thaws this fall. I
blame the Bronze All-for-one passholders for overcrowding the slopes at
Killington this year, but as one of them (J. Shefftz) pointed out to me, it's
probably because of them that Killington has been blowing an amazing amount of
snow, more than I have ever seen. So I guess they aren't all that bad....

Jim