SKIVT-L Archives

December 2004, Week 1

SKIVT-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
steve kijak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:28:53 -0800
Not fun, the loss of control by itself really messes
with your mind. Not suggesting a new extreme sport
either.

Personal Avy reminders:
1. When tumbling separate from equipment.
2. Start swimming to the surface.
3. Before stoping, create an air pocket around face
with one hand and send the other hand up toward the
surface.

But before I fall and/or tumble I will attempt to ride
off or ride out any avalanche, just like you did. I
was just wondering skiing it was possible when they
get bigger and faster.
Steve

>From:         Matt Duffy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Avalanche skiing??
>
>uh... it ain't fun and I don't recommend it.Put it
this way: The odds
>are probably better in russian roullette.
>
>>[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Is it possible to ski in an avalanche?
>>
>> Assuming you: don't panic, keep your balance, keep
>> your orientation in whiteout conditions etc.
>>
>> Matt skied off the slab he released the other day.
>> skied off or skied with a bunch of small, slow
moving
>> slab/slides I set off last season.
>>
>> So I guess the question is. Does the roiling,
boiling
>> snow in an avalanche have the consistency or float
>> allow you to ski it. Or after the snow reaches a
>> certain speed does it loose float. Or like in Jaws
do