SKIVT-L Archives

September 1999, Week 3

SKIVT-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:42:05 -0400
>From:         Pete Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Katahdin 8/28

>     Hiked it on 8/28 and had a total blast! Awesome mountain. (Snip)
>I've been very curious to know if anyone
>on the list has ever skied it and, if so, what part of the mountain was
skied?
>Also what kind of credentials are needed to ski it in the winter? I
understand
>it is very difficult to get a winter pass into the park.

I'd love to see a full report.  I'll bet others would too.

It is difficult to get a permit to enter Baxter State Park in winter.
Katahdin is considerably more remote than the Presidentials and Maine does
not want to have to deal with a Mt. Washington like death toll or massive
search & rescue responsibilities.  I know that Dick Hall of NATO;
http://planet.syr.edu/telemark/
has skied many times on Katahdin.  There is some nice video of Katahdin
skiing in his movie "Revenge of the Telemarkers", click on movies on the
above web site.  If you drop Dickie an email or call him he could get put
you in contact with the right people in Maine.

Denis Bogan

[log in to unmask]   NOTE NEW e-mail ADDRESS!!!
Voice;  301-286-1306
FAX;  301-286-0212 - Let me know it's coming.
(Mailing address: Laboratory for Extraterrestrial Physics
Code 691, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD 20771)
http://www-691.gsfc.nasa.gov/personnel/dbogan/dbogan.html