SKIVT-L Archives

December 2004, Week 1

SKIVT-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:15:52 -0800
I spent the Thanksgiving Holiday with the Bauman's in VT.  On Sat. after
T-day Jim and Conor B. and I skied a dozen or so afternoon runs at Bolton.
 It was $20 for a ticket and they had one good run under the main chair.
Half of it had been left ungroomed and had some nice rolls and mounds.  It
was really a lot of fun and well worth the price of admission.  They had
cranked up the guns on Fri. as soon as it got cold enough.  I doubt that
the skiing was any better at the major destination resorts, although I am
confident that the prices were higher.

On Sun. it niared cats and dogs; really depressing.  Even more so since I
was driving down to a Snowsports Management Seminar at Mt. Snow.  I feared
that I had signed up and paid for something that would wind up being an
entirely indoor event.  Instead Mon. morning saw the snowguns running and
3 runs top to bottom, one on the back side.  Furthermore the whole day was
scheduled for free skiing.  It was a blast.  I just recently bought a pair
of Fischer RC-4 151 SL race skis slightly used from the brother of a well
known SkiVTler and race coach.  These things are absolutely amazing.  My
last alpine ski was a 188.  I needed something a whole lot shorter and
shapelier for teaching (since all my students are now on short shapely
stuff).  These not only fill that bill but are fantastic energetic carving
machines.  They weigh a ton but I didn't notice.  You never lift and
rarely pivot skis like this, instead you just ride them.  On Tues. we had
on snow clinics.  On Wed. it poured again and we went indoors, a good
thing since I had a head cold starting to come on strong.

Mt. Snow did a great job of hosting the event under difficult
circumstances.  They have interesting blue terrain, something that is an
oxymoron at many mountains.  The front of the mountain has natural
stairsteps that make a series of rolls and drops and you can get quite
creative playing around with it.  It is also a very pleasant place where
it is impossible to walk past any resort employee with getting a big
smile, a "Good morning", or "How are you today?", or similar upbeat
greeting.  That sort of thing goes a long way.  Mt. Snow is celebrating 50
years this season and there are pictures of the early days all over.  I
skied there with HS and college buddies in the early years and it was a
really fun and  innovative place that had a major role in the explosive
growth of skiing.