SKIVT-L Archives

December 2004, Week 1

SKIVT-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Henry Barboza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:02:37 -0500
Two years ago I managed to be one of the first skiers down Ripcord at Mt Snow.
The trail had been pounded with the guns all night and groomed earlier in the
morning and conditions were awesome.  But just as I approached the big drop off
I ran into some coaches and patrollers that were very temporarily closing it
down.  Why were they doing this?  So a whole crew of high school and college
racers could, one at a time, come flying down at warp speed and go right over
that steep dropoff.  Watching that exercise I could only imagine the physical
strength that took but more importantly, the mental strength it would help
build.  I had a lot of respect for those racers.  I can't even imagine what
those at the World Cup level must look like going through their training.

Henry

    John> Some of the GMVS kids are very capable tricksters. I've seen
    John> them when they get set loose every once in a while; flips,
    John> twists, spins, fakie, you name it.  Top level racers spend
    John> so much time on skis and are such body-aware athletes that
    John> this stuff is just natural.

>Ain't that the truth! I would extend that to not just ski academy
>kids, but even junior racers in general. I remember being thoroughly
>amazed and impressed by this when my kids first started racing. Just
>watching a mountain full of 9-12 year olds jumping, spinning, sticking
f>akie landings, whatever, is a humbling experience. All these kids