USDEBATE Archives

June 2012

USDEBATE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Brad Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
USA Debating in the WUDC Format <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2012 00:18:54 -0400
Attention Judges: If you are interested in attending the Brandeis IV as a
judge, feel free to email your interest to [log in to unmask]
While we cannot make any promises at this point, we expect some subsidies
will be available.

Hello all,

For those of you who do not know me, my name is Brad Burns, and I will be
serving as head Tournament Director for the first annual Brandeis
Intervarsity Debate Tournament, to be held this coming December 8th and
9th. Brandeis has been active in both the APDA and BP communities for many
years now, and while we have always been known for putting on one of the
best APDA tournaments of the year, we are truly excited to host our first
ever WUDC style tournament this year. While you can expect an official
invite come fall with far more details, we wanted to take this opportunity
to show the North American debate community just how committed we are to
putting on one of the best tournaments of the year and why we should
absolutely be on your calendar as your last chance to compete before Worlds.

Our adjudication staff will be led by none other than Mary Nugent.  As most
of you know, Mary spent last year as a coach for the University of Vermont
Lawrence Debate Union. Prior to that, she was Director of Debating at the
University of Cambridge. While at Cambridge, she won four national IVs,
including the Oxford Women's Open. Additionally, she judged the Grand Final
at Worlds the past two years, was Deputy Chief Adjudicator at the 2011
USUs, and was Chief Adjudicator at the 2011 Huber Debates at UVM. This, of
course, is only a small sampling of her accomplishments, and it goes
without saying that we are absolutely thrilled to have someone with Mary's
ability and experience on-board.

One of our DCAs will be our very own Keith Barry. On APDA, Keith has been
extremely successful, winning Bates 2011, Harvard 2011, Syracuse 2011,
Wesleyan 2011, UConn 2012, and Providence College 2012. He was also top
speaker at Amherst 2011. Keith has also seen loads of success in BP,
however. He was a finalist at both the 2011 HWS Fall Classic and the 2012
Empire Debates at the King's College, and he attended the 2012 HWS Round
Robin, a world-class invitational reserved for only 16 teams.

We also plan on having one or two external DCAs. We have already spoken
with some of the most accomplished U.S. BP debaters, all of whom have
expressed sincere interest. While we can't say any more than that at this
point, we are committed to having at least one more highly qualified DCA,
meaning you can be assured that the motions will be top notch and the
judging high quality.  We also plan on reaching out directly to some of the
best judges in North America.

Finally, our Tab Director will be Steve Llano.  Once again, as most of you
know, Steve is currently Director of the St. John's University Debate
Society, and has tabbed an innumerable number of tournaments in past years.
Brandeis is thrilled to have him as our Tab Director, and we're even more
thrilled to know that we will not have to worry about any problems with tab
at the IV.

In addition to our fantastic tournament staff, you can expect a high
quality tournament experience. While we will be offering crash housing, we
are also negotiating with multiple hotels in Waltham to ensure that anyone
who wants a bed can get one affordably. Brandeis Debate is also known for
its fantastic parties and socials, and you can bet that we will live up to
that reputation at the IV.

On behalf of the tournament staff, in addition to the entire Brandeis
Debate team, we are looking forward to hosting both the APDA and North
American BP debate communities in Waltham this December! If you have any
questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to respond to send a quick
email to either myself (Brad) or [log in to unmask]

Yours,
Brad Burns, Jess Maskin, and Rich Weisbach
2012 Brandeis IV TDs