UVMFLOWNET Archives

September 1999

UVMFLOWNET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Kelly Estes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UVM Flownet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:28:15 EDT
In a message dated 09/03/1999 5:21:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< we measure stenosis by ultrasound comparing the diameter of the lumen with
the diameter of the vessel at the point of maximum stenosis (real stenosis),
but correlation  with the results of arteriography is sometimes poor because
they compare the diameter of the lumen with the distal diameter of the
carotid.  >>

Carlos,

    Most vascular labs (I hope) are not measuring off of the 2D image for
percent stenosis, rather they are doing velocity measurements with angle
corrected Doppler. This is the most accurate way to determine percent
stenosis with ultrasound technology. There are many published charts with
criteria available.

    I hope this helps.......

Kelly Estes RT(R), RDMS, RDCS, RVT