UVMFLOWNET Archives

July 2010

UVMFLOWNET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"K. Beach" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UVM Flownet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:06:35 -0700

Dear Hank,

At the Universtiy of Washington Ultrasound Reading Center for CREST, I
average 12 minutes per carotid examination, minimum 16 images and
waveforms.

Scans come to me in electronic form, but from a variety of scanners.
This means that the placement of annotation is different for each
examination.
I verify, and remeasure when necessary, a minimum of 64 cursor placements
(PSV, EDV, EAV and Angle) on each examination, and verify the
transcription of each of the measurements.  Then I verify stenosis
classification using two classification methods (Strandness and "ratio")
If additional images are submitted, either because of a distal stenosis or
a long stent, or because the sonographer has taken extra images, I sort
these extra images and verify each as an alternative for the standard
images previoulsy selected.  Occasionally an extra 20 images are provided.

Before I review the scans, each scan is pre-reviewed by Edward Stutzman
RVT, checking all of the same data, and arranging the images that he has
selected in order.

The 12 minute average is based on consistently reviewing 10 bilateral
examinations while listening to a two hour Prairie Home Companion episode.

We have used this electronic review method on the most recent 4,900
submitted examinations of the approximately 12,000 processed so far by the
UW URC.

Kirk