UVMFLOWNET Archives

July 2010

UVMFLOWNET@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Holly Bazarnick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UVM Flownet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 2010 21:21:59 -0400
Judy and Deborah, I'm so sorry your email address books got hacked - this is a
different case though.

To clarify:

I'm upset that my email address was lifted directly from the Flownet message
boards, by a software vendor who's a member of this group.

I know this to be true because an advertisement arrived on my gmail account
that I use *only* for the Flownet.

This message *also* arrived in my yahoo account because it's listed on my
badge at ASE (this vendor had a booth).

Here's the message I received:

"PRODUCT_NAME, the pioneer of Software as a Service (SaaS) for medical
diagnostic testing and imaging takes “Anywhere access” to a new level – now
view your images and results from any location, on any computer, even on the
iPad®. Watch our video (in less than 3 minutes you can learn about
PRODUCT_NAME.)"

There was a link to a marketing video (not educational by any means).
I won't bother displaying the product name here - chances are it's in your
inbox - they've already posted a detailed message about their product on the
Flownet.

The spam worked:

Though offputting, this spam prompted me to watch the marketing video.
Then I asked around about the product.

I learned that the product is not unique.  It also has serious diagnostic
limitations, especially compared to the flexible, comprehensive, high-resolution,
vascular-lab-friendly Medstreaming product that folks on the Flownet have
been endorsing.  (We've been in the market recently looking for our lab.)

Bottom line:

By mining the Flownet website for the purposes of spamming, this company
undermined their credibility, at least with me.

Their product pales compared to others that are perfectly suited for our
community, so spamming is probably not the best strategy.

Sorry for the rant, but I value my privacy!

Holly