UVMWOMENSHOCKEY Archives

July 2005

UVMWOMENSHOCKEY@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Chris Wojcik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UVM Women's Hockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:23:54 -0400
July 12, 2005

Gutterson Fieldhouse Renovations Underway

BURLINGTON, Vt. - Vermont hockey fans will be able to enjoy several new
renovations to Gutterson Fieldhouse beginning with the 2005-06 season.
The changes will provide much more protection for both players and fans,
and will brighten up the interior of the building.

New NHL quality boards and eight-foot high seamless glass are being
installed all the way around the rink. The new system is more forgiving
on impact making it better for the players and the expanded height on
the glass provides more protection from pucks leaving the ice surface.
In addition, the glass has no support bars so fans will have a clearer
view of the ice.

“Renovations to Gutterson Fieldhouse are another step forward in
revitalizing our facilities and in enhancing the quality of experience
for both our student-athletes and our great fans,” Vermont athletic
director Dr. Robert Corran said. “These improvements will provide a more
pleasant and safe environment for everyone at the rink.”

New netting will extend behind the goals to the hash marks and is clear
in color instead of black like the previous net, making the sight lines
to the rink better. New banners for each Hockey East representative will
be added along the south wall inside the “Gut”.

A new energy efficient lighting system will be installed making the rink
20 percent brighter. The new lighting system also features an instant
on-off switch allowing for more exciting pre-game festivities.

A new scoreboard is similar in appearance to the old board but will have
more graphic capabilities and uses only 20 percent of the energy
required to operate the previous one. The scoreboard will feature ProAd
technology so sponsors can benefit from high graphic profiles and fans
can purchase birthday messages.

After 31 years in the ECACHL the Vermont men’s hockey team will begin
its first season of play in the Hockey East in 2005-06. Fans get their
first chance to see the men’s hockey team in action at the improved
Gutterson Fieldhouse on Friday Oct. 7 at 7:30 p.m. when the Catamounts
host St. Francis Xavier in an exhibition. The regular season opener at
home is against Minnesota-Duluth on Friday Oct. 21.

“There is plenty of excitement and anticipation surrounding our program
as we prepare for our first season in the Hockey East,” Vermont men’s
hockey head coach Kevin Sneddon said. “The renovations to Gutterson
Fieldhouse will significantly add to this excitement. Our players, fans
and coaches are certainly appreciative of this upgrade and for all the
hard work the rink staff has put forth to make the “Gut” look as good as
it does right now. With our fans in the seats, our facility will be one
of the best environments in college hockey.”

The Vermont women’s hockey team enters its fourth year of competition at
the Division I level in 2005-06. The Catamounts also begin their first
season of play in the Hockey East this year. The Vermont women's hockey
season begins on Saturday Oct. 1 at 7:00 p.m. when they host Sacred Heart.

“This project covered a lot of ground and it was done without
compromising the character of a great college hockey venue,” Vermont
women’s hockey head coach Dennis Miller said. “These facility
improvements show our students, our athletes and the greater community
that the University is committed to providing a quality environment to
watch college hockey.”

--30--