VGBNTALK Archives

September 2009

VGBNTALK@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
David Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
VGBN Discussion <[log in to unmask]>, David Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:49:04 -0400
Thanks for that reply Jeff. For new and potential Passivehouse owners to
locate and understand appropriate technologies that can be used in a
Passivehouse is a daunting prospect. Wood burning stoves are especially
problematic if one wants to reach Passivehouse standards. Even with outside
air intake, and a small heat output, the device becomes mostly only an
aesthetic addition. When opened to load, the air balance in the Passivehouse
may become disrupted and a back-draft condition created. What little added
heat it does provide may easily overwhelm the heat/air system. A means of
dumping excess heat should be built into the mechanical system. A
comprehensive PH energy modeling should indicate the extent of the
accommodations which would be necessary in order to add a wood-burning device.

I would also highly recommend working with Peter Schneider, for many reasons.

David R Young
Eco-Logos LLC
Ecological Design & Planning
Passivehouse Consultant (in training)

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:12:26 -0400, Jeff Gephart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Steven,
>
>If you have not already discovered this thread it may be of help.
>www.passivehouse.us/bulletinBoard/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28
>
>www.nibefire.eu/gb/wood_burning_stoves/cast_iron_stoves/cast_iron_stoves.asp
- Link to stoves with a 3 to 9 KW ratings (there was another Swedish
stove/fireplace company I saw through some Passive House reading I had done
but it appears that I failed to bookmark it).

>www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/indoor_woodsmoke/wood_smoke_page.htm -
Washington State has stricter emissions requirements than does the EPA.  You
may find their list of certified stoves useful.

>I am strapped for time today but I will look into this further later this
week.  I also forwarded on your email to Peter Schneider.  Please remember
that Peter is an excellent resource and available to assist you with
questions of this nature through your Vermont ENERGY STAR Homes enrollment.

>Kind regards,
>Jeff Gephart
>
>Vermont ENERGY STAR Homes
>  A service of Efficiency Vermont & Vermont Gas Systems
>
>LEED for Homes
>  A U.S. Green Building Council program
>
>800-893-1997
>802-767-3861 fax
>www.efficiencyvermont.com

stove and store it in my Domestic HW tank.

>  I would really like to find one with an Oven and Cooktop Too.      Since
the house would only need about 3KW of heat.  It is tough to find a small one.