VTBIRD Archives

October 2003

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Barbara Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:58:17 -0400
I thought I sent an earlier email but I guess it didn't go through. This
storm seems to have brought down some wonderful treasures. I was alerted by
Ruth Stewart that there was a float of scoters on Benedict Pond in East
Dorset but she didn't have time to scan it. I went over and found 100+ black
scoters, 3 surf scoters (male), 2 white winged scoters (1 male and 1
female). Next I went to Bullhead Pond and found another 10 black scoters and
three mallards. Continuing on I found at Prentis Pond next to the Manchester
Country Club 13 mallards and 1 green winged teal plus 8 white crowned
sparrows, 9 juncos, 8 white throated sparrows and 9 song sparrows. On the
way home on the west side of North Road there were about 1,000 Canada geese
in a farmer's field plus about 100 crows and 50 ravens.
Later I had a meeting in North Bennington so I checked out Lake Peran and
there were 25 black scoters and 3 white wing scoters (2m and 1 female).
Coming north-on Miller Pond in Arlington there were 59 black scoters and 8
surf scoters (4 male and 4 female), 1 hooded merganser, 3 cormorants, and 11
green winged teal. Next at Howell's Pond and camp ground there were 10 green
winged teal6, mallards and 7 wood duck.
What a fun day in spite of the freezing rain/snow!!
Barbara Powers
Manchester Center

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy
patented spam control and more.  Get two months FREE!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa