VTBIRD Archives

September 2013

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Teage O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:28:15 -0400
Yesterday at Rock Point a group of us watched a kestrel flying over this
field hunting dragonflies. The first time we saw it make a pass at a
dragonfly, we thought it missed, but then we saw the dragonfly falling to
the ground. It turned out it was just the wings, still twitching. We then
watched it repeatedly flying back and forth over the field hunting
dragonflies. It would catch them with its feet and in flight dip its head
back and eat the entire body and drop the wings. What an awesome way to
spend an afternoon!

Teage O'Connor
Naturalist Educator
Wild Burlington Blog <http://wildburlington.blogspot.com/>