VTBIRD Archives

September 2013

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Larry Haugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2013 23:14:07 -0400
Tuesday afternoon's weather made for a very pleasant time to be by the
Lake in Charlotte, and the visibility was generally very good (not
perfect at longest distances).
I was able to join Ted Murin there from about 3 to about 5:30 pm. Jim
Mead joined about 4:30 pm, and a couple others (Nick and Hank) dropped
by to chat as well. Ted and Jim stayed on longer.
I will just give a few highlights:
Early on we had two Red-necked Grebes in flight (south to north), coming
to within a reasonable distance, so had great scope views before they
set down north of us.
A third Red-necked Grebe also flew south to north but at a farther
distance out and also set down separately, a bit to the north.
For perhaps an hour a Jaeger (Parasitic/Pomarine) was tracked while it
chased various gulls and then set down for about 45 minutes at maximum
barely-visible distance, and eventually disappeared to the south.
Closer to 5 pm we had an American Wigeon with 2 Mallards close in to
shore and our bench.
At about 5:10 pm a Sanderling magically appeared on the rock bar to the
left of the bench, while we were mostly looking elsewhere; and then
magically disappeared again.
Ted counted 13 Common Loons when visibility was best.
More nice weather on the way for this week, enjoy,
Larry
Shelburne, VT