VTBIRD Archives

September 2013

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Barbara Miles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2013 09:11:10 -0400
I saw a single crane yesterday just east of the boat launch area, feeding in the low marshy area, around noon.  I also saw a great blue heron very near the crane, which I at first mistook for another crane.  Friends have seen a sandhill crane in a similar place while kayaking recently.  Earlier in the season (sorry not to have a date) there was a pair far to the south of the boat launch area.  And about a month ago I saw a single crane feeding in a field on the east side of the Bristol/Monkton road, just north of the pond.

I'd love to hear of any more sightings or information about nesting habits in this area.

Basha Miles,
Bristol