VTBIRD Archives

October 2003

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Dan Shustack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:23:57 -0700
There were 3 sandhill cranes at Missisquoi NWR around 3pm on Thursday afternoon.

Dan Shustack
Colchester, VT

Bryan Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
All three scoter species and some of the best looks we've ever had at
Red-necked Grebe were among the highlights from a day of summer, er, fall
birding in the Champlain Valley Thursday.

Susan Sussman and I watched good numbers of White-winged and Surf Scoters
moving around a calm, flat lake at Charlotte Town Beach in the morning.
Sixty southbound Black Scoters completed the scoter trio at Oven Bay in
Addison later that afternoon.

The lake was busy, with everything from Snow Geese to Red-breasted
Mergansers. We found both scaup species. And Red-necked Grebes were
blissfully close to shore at Oven Bay (from the Tri-town Water District plant).

At least three Common Moorhens were still at the mouth of Whitney Creek in
Addison. Peregrine Falcons were at the Crown Point Bridge and at the geese
viewing area at Dead Creek Wildlife Management Area in Addison.

Once again, about 6000-7000 Snow Geese were well south of the main viewing
area. But that could change on Saturday, once the hunters get busy.

I've include a complete (or nearly complete) bird list from the our
Champlain Valley outing at the "Breaking Bird News" link on my web site at
www.vermontbirdtours.com/breaking.html.

It was one of those perfect days.

Enjoy!

Bryan Pfeiffer