VTBIRD Archives

June 2005

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
C and R STEWART <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2005 21:57:20 -0400
I don't know what it's like in other parts of the state, but here in the
southern belt the tent caterpillars are wrecking havoc on the trees and the
pleasures of walking in the woods.  Worms are suspended everywhere creating
a mass of webbing which has amazing sticking qualities.  A simple woods
walk requires pushing through to web maze to the point where I heard one
person say she just wasn't going there anymore.  It sounds like light rain
in the forest from the droppings.

And everything looks wet, but in reality, it is sticky matter on the
leaves.  Who can help explain this?  My husband theorizes that the trees
that have been defoliated are still producing sap/food for the leaves and
that is what is floating to the ground.  It's unreal.   What's happening
elsewhere?

Ruth

Charlie & Ruth Stewart
E. Dorset, Vermont