]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  May 2009

VTBIRD May 2009

My trip to Silver Lake Campground in Goshen

Brian Webster <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 May 2009 19:03:34 -0400

(5/18)

I just returned back to CT (unfortunately) from a very nice camping trip in at Silver Lake campgrdoun, just north of Forest Dale, inside the Mossamoaloo region.  I arrived at 4:00pm on Friday, and shoved off at noon today (Monday).  I was with a friend who isn't a true birder, but and Indigo Bunting and a Chestnut-sided Warbler sparked his interest in seeing how many species we could find.

The bulk of my birding/hiking was done an the trails within the Moosamaloo region, and inside the campground itself (warbler city!).  Trails hiked/birded included the Leichester Hollow trail, Silver Lake Loop trail, Chandler Ridge trail, the Goshen trail, and Silver Lake Road (FR-27).  Other spots included a large marshy field across/near a golf course between Forest Dale and Brandon on RT-73 and the Blueberry field place near the intersectoin of FR-32 and FR-27 (also inside Moosamaloo).

Highlights of the weekend were a pair of Lincoln's Sparrows in a powerline cut inside Silver Lake campground, a pair of American Kestrel in the farmy/marshy field on RT-73, a Swainson's Thrush on the Leichester Hollow Trail, Least Flycatcher near my campsite, and in a large standing of pines and other conifers.... my neighbors for the weekend, 4 male and 2 female Blackburnian Warblers (one of 16 warbler species for the weekend).  Also, one adult Bald Eagle (present last year as well) flying over Silver Lake.

Dates: 5/15-5/18
Towns: Goshen and Forest Dale, VT
Total Species: 87
Notes: Broad-winged Hawks and Chipping Sparrows were seen at Vermont Welcome Center (northbound side) on I-91

(1) Common Loon
(3) Great Blue Heron
(x) Canada Geese
(2) Wood Ducks
(4) Mallards
(5) Common Mergansers
(6) Turkey Vultures
(1) Cooper's Hawk (adult)
(8) Broad-winged Hawks (in one stream over VT Welcome Center)
(3) Red-tailed Hawks (2 adult, 1 juv.)
(1) Bald Eagle (adult)
(1) Osprey
(2) American Kestrels
(8) Wild Turkeys
(1) Solitary Sandpiper (pool in field across near golf course)
(2) Ring-billed Gulls
(x) Mourning Doves
(2) Barred Owls
(5) Chimney Swifts (over Grand Union near RT-73/7 intersection)
(1) Ruby-throated Hummingbird (male)
(3) Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers
(x) Downy Woodpeckers
(x) Hairy Woodpeckers
(1) Northern Flicker
(3) Pileated Woodpeckers (2 in campground, 1 on Chandler Ridge)
(1) Least Flycatcher (Leichester Hollow trail)
(2) Eastern Phoebes
(1) Great Crested Flycatcher
(2) Eastern Kingbirds (across/near golf course)
(x) Red-eyed Vireos
(2) Warbling Vireos
(1) Yellow-throated Vireo
(3) Blue-headed Vireos
(1) Blue Jay
(1) Common Raven
(x) American Crows
(4) Northern Rough-winged Swallows
(2) Bank Swallows
(1) Tree Swallows
(6) Barn Swallows
(2) Tufted Titmice
(x) Black-capped Chickadee
(1) Red-breasted Nuthatch
(3) White-breasted Nuthatches
(2) Brown Creepers
(2) Winter Wren
(x) American Robins
(3) Wood Thrush
(1) Veery
(1) Swainson's Thrush (leichester Hollow trail)
(2) Hermit Thrushes
(1) Gray Catbird
(x) European Starlings
(4) Northern Parula
(1) Yellow Warbler
(x) Chestnut-sided Warblers
(2) Magnolia Warblers
(x) Black-throated Blue Warblers
(6) Blackburnian Warblers
(x) Yellow-rumped Warblers
(1) Black-throated Green Warbler
(1) Pine Warbler (are the late now in VT?)
(1) Blackpoll Warbler
(4) Black-and-white Warblers
(4) American Redstarts
(x) Ovenbirds
(2) Northern Waterthrushes
(2) Common Yellowthroats
(1) Canada Warbler
(3) Scarlet Tanager
(4) Rose-breasted Grosbeak
(2) Indigo Buntings
(3) Chipping Sparrows
(1) Savannah Sparrow
(13) White-throated Sparrows
(1) Song Sparrow
(2) Lincoln's Sparrows
(5) Dark-eyed Junco (one female had a very stong hood)
(7) Red-winged Blackbirds
(2) Rusty Blackbirds (flooded/marshy fields on RT-73)
(2) Common Grackle
(3) Baltimore Orioles (2 male, 1 female)
(1) Purple Finch
(3) House Finch
(2) Pine Siskin
(6) American Goldfinch

My goal was to beat last years total of 68 species.  There were a few factors that made this weekend better than last year.... the main thing is that I had from Friday afternoon through to noon on Monday, and last year I only had Saturday afternoon to Monday morning.  This time I had another person helping.  And last year I was there in mid-later June.

Other wildlife and nature based sightings seen/heard over the weekend included an extremely feisty and exicted gang of coyotes, several bats (looked like 2 different species), Red-backed salamanders, Painted Trillium, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Pink Ladies Slippers, and 5 species of Butterfly.

-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT

Insert movie times and more without leaving HotmailŪ.