Sounds like you got to bird at one of my favorite places.
Sounds like you got to bird at one of my favorite places. My wife and I have been spending the winters on JI for several years. I trust you met my friend and local birding guru, Lydia Thompson, while you were there. Other good birding places in the area, which you may have already heard about are
1. St. Simons Island, on East Beach between the Coast Guard station and Gould's inlet, birding varies greatly with the tide.
2. Altamaha WMA just south of Darien on Rt. 17.
3. Harris Neck NWR off Rt. 17 about half way between Brunswick and Savannah.
4. Sapelo Island, off Rt. 17 near Darien. It's best if you go on a tour, as once you get there there is no transportation unless you have made some arrangement. Check at the Visitors Center on the mainland.
The Coastal Georgia Audubon Society has lots of field trips. You can check out their schedule at their website: www.coastalgeorgiabirding.org.
Coastal Alabama? Sorry, I have no good leads there.
Happy winter birding in the south,
From: Martha McClintock <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:30 PM
Subject: [VTBIRD] Junco, Golden-crowned Kinglets, and the Southeast in February
1. Several weeks ago, we had a large group of juncos (20 or so) regularly
along with many pine siskins at our feeders. For the past week or so I
have one single junco. It seems strange to see him alone.
2. Discovered a new (to us) trail today in the Milton Town Forest. The
yellow trail is long and rough and will be a great place to bird next
summer but today, we saw nothing but chickadees and then three
golden-crowned kinglets in a group of hemlocks... a late sighting for me.
3. Last February, Bill and I had a wonderful, bird-filled vacation at
Jekyll Island in Georgia. We are thinking ahead to a similar trip this
year. We need to go during the school vacation week and we would love to
combine the trip with a visit to our daughter in Auburn AL. Could anyone,
off-list, give us any suggestions for destinations in Sothern Georgia or
coastal Alabama in February?