VTBIRD Archives

March 2010

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Kay Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:45:59 -0400
Hi - For those who like to travel South in mud season, two reports.

For the second time, I was able to attend the San Diego Bird Fest for at least
two of the four day event. Last year, on the day-long "Birding 100" trip, we
saw 128 species.  Of these, 32 were new for my life list.  This year, I added
another 15 birds to my life list.  The venue is cozy and people very nice
(birders after all). Having the range of habitat - from high desert to canyon to
coast - really makes this worthwhile.

In a quick business trip to Orlando this month, I regretted not staying for a
birding vacation as I did once before.  In just the hour-long shuttle ride from
airport to hotel, I saw the following.

10 pie-billed grebe
15 turkey vulture
3 great blue heron
3 great egret
5 cattle egret
12 snowy egret
16 anhinga
4 common grackle
1 boat-tailed grackle
many crows - unable to count
many ducks - too difficult to identify in flight and on water

Meanwhile, the sounds of spring are growing around our property in
Hinesburg.  Kay Johnson