VTBIRD Archives

March 2010

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:34:45 -0500
I only just rejoined this list, or I would have told you all earlier.
On January 27th I saw two bald eagles on the Passumpsic River. It was
along route 5, almost a quarter mile north of Kitchel Hill Road. In
the morning it was a fully mature adult down on the ice, next to a
deer carcass. Passing by again, in the afternoon, there was another
similarly large bird in the same place, but with only some white on
the head, not pure white. My first impression, without binoculars, was
of possibly an osprey, but a bit large. Then when it flew, there was a
lot of white on the tail. I suppose that was an immature baldy molting
into adult plumage.

I don't know whether they've become common to see in Vermont, but it
was my first in 40 years of birdwatching, so pretty exciting.

Hilary McClure
Danville, Vermont