Re: OT: VT Bird policies

Kay Johnson <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:10:06 -0400

Julie's work is always appreciated by me.  I always open, generally click on link, and often forward to friends and family.  Kay in Hinesburg

-----Original Message-----
From: Julie Waters <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, Aug 13, 2010 4:32 pm
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] OT: VT Bird policies

At 2:25 PM -0400 8/13/10, Ernie Buford wrote:
>It's all in the interpretation, isn't it?  That's one reason I was >soliciting feedback.  To be
>completely transparent, I was on the fence about your announcement. >It didn't particularly bother
>me personally, but I also share some concern expressed in a small >number of past complaints about
>the volume of photo links in some of your messages.  On the other >hand, I've appreciated much of
>what you have to share, and I expect that lots of subscribers enjoy >seeing your photos.

Thanks for the feedback.  I don't post here a lot, and the vast majority of what I do post here is specifically photo links because that's what I have to share.  I make a point of not updating the group every time I have photos to share.

I'll just put this out there for everyone to think about: I don't read most of what's posted here.  Unless there's something unusual way up North, I don't pay a lot of attention, because it's a bit out of my way.  But I just delete the posts that don't interest me.  And since I do camp and travel throughout the state, I love that at any point during the regular birding season, I can get a good sense of what people have seen up in, for example, Victory Basin, so having that living and evolving archive of what's going on throughout the state is something that I think of as an extremely valuable resource.

I also love the photo links that other birders share, both as a photographer and a bird lover.  Seeing the photos of the Northern Wheatear from a few years back was a lot more interesting than just reading about it.  This is one of the many reasons I share my own photos from time to time.

I've maintained listservs in the past and I still maintain internet forums on a variety of topics.  It's a bit of work and it's work that generally goes unpaid and underappreciated.  I like VTbird.  I think it's low enough volume to be able to keep up but high enough volume to keep a constant variety of posting and interest.  I don't see any need to pick any aspect of it apart or to narrow or expand its focus any, especially since I do have that wonderful piece of technology known as either 'the delete key" or "the mighty finger of doom," depending on your perspective.

But as someone who's run different forums on different topics, I want to say one last thing: it is extremely easy to set up your own e-mail group.  It's not even that hard to create a community blog (I've done a bunch of those, too).  If you find that the content is not narrowly focused enough for your own needs, you might find other like-minded individuals who are interested in only, for example, seeing rare and unusual bird reports and can easily create your own group that's limited in that specific fashion.  Our community is diverse and complex enough that there is room for both, even if I don't personally see the need.  Similarly, if I were to feel that VT bird became too limited in terms of what was and was not allowed in the group, I could easily set up my own more expansive group if I felt it necessary.

This was my long-winded way of saying that Ernie doesn't owe any of us anything here. and that I respect whatever decisions he chooses to make with respect to the group.  If the group ever becomes something I truly don't want, I can always create my own and see what happens.

I've written considerably more than I intended to here.  This may, in fact, be the longest post I've ever sent here without any bird photos,  so I will mention that last week I -finally- got good looks at a green heron, something that usually happens far earlier in the Summer:

   http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/7351.php

Enjoy :)

--julie

   this is not true.