VTBIRD Archives

September 2013

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Ian A. Worley" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2013 08:31:26 -0400
Also .......

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the
principal law (the Migratory Bird Treaty Act [16U.S.C. 703-712]) applies
only to migrant birds.  About 17% of bird species are not migratory, and
so that law does not apply to them.  Endangered species laws, both state
and federal, would have there own individual statement, policy, or
practice, about possession of feathers.  And perhaps there are other
laws at federal, state, and possibly even local levels.  Under any of
these laws there would be the possibility to be granted a permit for a
variety of kinds of activities (e.g. banding, research, education
display, zoos and aviaries, etc.).

I haven't checked to see if there is a list of the non-migratory birds.

Certainly as an educator I agree with the common sense principles being
voiced.  Of course, do be sensitive to certain species which might be
exceptionally rare, have native American cultural meaning, are
non-native, or are commonly poached for commercial or personal reasons,
for example.

Ian